Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Why do people keep mapping the same songs?

I first started osu! with a mindset like "ooh I hate anime, it's pretty stupid". I also used to call myself a 'gamer', "oh, I love videogames, I'm only going to map songs from videogames". I remained like that for a while, but then I opened myself to more variety; I realized I can't hate something if I don't really know it. So I watched One Piece and thought "hey, it isn't that bad".

What was that thing that made me hate anime in the first place, though? I mean, some animes are very interesting and fun to see.

It was the otaku fanbase, really. That, and the moe subculture. The huuuge amount of those two, is what I think is retarded.

Until today I haven't inclined the slightest bit to become, or call myself, an 'otaku'. Why? I realized having a closed mind for things like these is bad, very very bad. You shouldn't limit yourself to enjoy something just for a 'tag' you have on yourself; that's exactly what I did, and I was missing a whole new world of entertainment. I, since last year or so, have tried to keep an 'open mind' for new things.

It pisses me off to see a hardcore, all-out otaku, because all they can think of is anime. Anime is their life! They have anime-decorated backpacks, anime notebooks, anime wallpapers, anime figurines, anime music, anime everything! They just don't realize they can also like many other things, which makes me sad; they've been raised with the idea of liking anime, and anime only... the idea of 'anime is the best thing ever', so they don't want to leave it for anything. I understand people have different preferences and such, but I doubt it can naturally go that far. They've become obsessed with the idea.

Well, what I wanted to post about is this:
People on osu! are a huge mass of otakus. I like to believe there are a few people still with an open mind there, but the ones I've known, I can count them on one hand.
Otakus bring more otakus. They're like friggin' magnets. And so, since all these otakus think about is anime, all they map is anime. Well, let's keep an open mind... sure, okay, this IOSYS song is pretty cool, no reason to hate... and oh look, this map with an anime background also sounds pretty cool. Okay, so I enjoy the song, and the map, so that's neat. I'm glad someone mapped it.

Wait, someone else mapped it too?
Wait, there are other 3 versions mapped? And another 2 remixes of the same song?

...why would you do that?! It's like, all anime songs have been mapped, so what do we do now? Let's map them again! Seriously, I understand when you're not satisfied with the map and want to make a better version, but some cases make me think they don't even bother checking the other maps.

Why people? Why don't you open yourself to other genres too? Be more varied! You cannot (or at least you shouldn't) keep mapping the same stuff, over, and over, and over again! There are millions of songs all around the world, many of which haven't been mapped yet; it is possible you weren't satisfied with the other version (although, with nowadays' standards I find that doubtful), and I completely understand that, but you can also use that time to map something else, and create more song variety!

I've always tried to map variety; in my old wips I have from anime openings to english pop. It's not hard to keep an open mind, people just don't want to, and I just don't understand why. This is why otakus piss me off.

I feel like I want to rant even more about it, but I can't find the correct words to do it. I'll just leave this post like this.

Also... if by any chance you're an otaku and you read this, I'm sorry if I insulted you, it was not my intention. I've finally calmed down a bit, don't worry. :P

2 comments:

  1. I think it boils down to "I like this song, and I want to map it myself even if there are other versions of it already."

    Even if it has a map already, mapping it and playing it are just different. Personally, I prefer it if I actually map a song I like, rather than just play it.

    It's just that since osu! is an "otaku community", there a higher chance for the songs that people like to be anime-based. English songs also have this happen too (Owl City - Fireflies comes into mind).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ^^ i'm Alarido (check the osu! profile) and my first ranked map is... anime. But now I'm decided to help more diversity. And a few people with me (AlexaBM, Priti and so on).
    My second ranked map is Sade - Smooth Operator. Well, it's Soul music, although Gabe ranked it as English Rock (he said me Jazz is a part of Rock, I'm not sure about it, but... it's ranked now.)
    I'm working on System Of A Down - Aerials, though timing! Several months invested on timing it as more accurate as I could, and with a timing mod, I feel it's right (well, not absolute 100%, because no human is absolutely accurate). But started mapping Hard by now, and I plan do ALL diffs by myself.... unless a more skilled mapper want collab with me at Insane (I'll keep the door open until I start it alone, if no one appear.)

    (Would be good collab with Gens, or Doomsday, or Katsuri, or Larto, or Lesjuh, or maybe jonathanlfj... these are the more skilled mappers imho... since their mapstyles seem marry well with mine.)

    Really, Gens... there are A LOT of things to change on osu! in terms of mapping culture.

    Well, let's the train go on with us inside c:

    Att.

    Alarido
    Facebook: Fiszpan Porcel (Alarido)

    ReplyDelete